Data Analyst with Remote Sensing Expertise
Duty station: Freiburg, Germany or home office
UNIQUE is a leading consulting firm for sustainable natural resource management, with a specific focus on forestry, agriculture and climate change. Since our establishment in 1998, we have carried out over 800 projects in more than 75 countries. UNIQUE’s headquarters are located in Freiburg at the foot of the Black Forest, in the Southwest of Germany. In addition, we have offices in Ethiopia, Paraguay, Vietnam and Kyrgyzstan. Our 60-persons team consists of forestry and agriculture experts, economists, policy experts and social scientists. This strong in-house expertise enables us to deliver high quality, timely products to our customers. Our know-how is in demand worldwide from a broad variety of clients. We work with development banks, multilateral organizations, investment funds, ministries, municipalities, associations and the private sector.
UNIQUE is seeking to recruit a data analyst with remote sensing expertise as part of our digital technology team. The team is analyzing satellite imagery and large datasets (BigData) using standardized processing algorithms, as well as incorporating the latest technology (e.g. machine learning and cloud processing).
The digital technology team is working on developing business applications for Earth Observatory data in the forest and land use sector, implementing large and national forest inventories including land cover assessments, as well as providing technical support for environmental protection surveys. To date, we have carried out more than 50 projects in the field of information technology in the forestry and land use sector in over 20 countries.
Tasks and responsibilities
As a data analyst you will work as part of the digital technology team – a service team working closely with our technical divisions (forestry, climate, agriculture & rural development) and focus on tasks that involve:
- Remote Sensing based analysis: land use and land cover analysis.
- Forest monitoring, agricultural production monitoring and carbon impact monitoring.
- Data analysis: complex spatial analysis and modeling in cooperation with other consultants working on specific topics and datasets.
- Integration of data processing algorithms with our existing digital tools and software (www.digital.unique-landuse.de).
Required qualifications and expertise
- Master degree (or higher) in Remote Sensing, Geoinformatics or a related field with a strong interest or experience in forestry and land use topics.
- Technical knowledge and work experience in processing satellite imagery, land use and land use change analysis.
- Hands-on work experience in Python for processing satellite imagery and non-spatial data.
- Experience with platforms such as Google Earth Engine or Sepal for the purpose of time-series analysis and deforestation/forest degradation monitoring are an additional asset.
- Experience in (spatial) statistic or modelling is also an additional asset.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience; 1 year in case of a PhD degree.
- Proficiency in English is a must; German language skills are desired. Mastering other relevant languages (French, Spanish, Russian) is an advantage.
- An open-ended contract after a probation period.
- A dynamic and innovative work environment with a high degree of autonomy.
- An environment where talents are encouraged and recognized for the initiatives they take to answer client needs, to build a better firm and to build their professional journeys.
- A competitive salary and benefit package.
- A culture based on a flat hierarchy, informal atmosphere, and a collaborative spirit.
- Opportunities for internal and external learning for future career development.
- Flexible work arrangements, including home office.
- Fresh organic fruits, coffee and tea, bicycle repair service, and monthly sports events.
Applications from women are particularly welcome.
Please send your application (CV and motivation letter) by October 31st 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications in pdf-format will be accepted. We would appreciate if you tell us in your e-mail how you found out about this position.